Your Reasons for Banning
Now consider your thoughts on this debate. First discuss these questions with your mentor, then determine your answers.
- Is there a book you have read that you would consider banning? For whom, and why?
- When, if ever, should something be censored? Consider:
- different age groups and maturity levels
- themes and messages
- topics and content
- the needs of certain audiences
- other relevant elements of a literary work
- Should the following aspects of a reader's identity be considered?
- race and ethnicity
- regional or national identity
- sexual orientation
- What criteria should be used in order to determine whether a book should be banned from your school's library or classrooms?
Create your own list of criteria in your Reader's Journal. Share that list with your mentor, and seek feedback from friends, teachers, and family you trust.
If you're really enjoying yourself, take a crack at the Disciplinary Hat activity on the Banned Book Debate.
Otherwise, head to the sections on controversial language and diction in Huck Finn.