eStudies students use several technological components in their coursework. These include email, Sakai, and Adobe Connect. All of the following technology requirements must be met in order to fully participate in an eStudies course.
In general, students need:
- A 56 kbps or faster Internet connection (this includes cable, DSL, satellite, and 56k modems).
- Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player (free downloads are available).
- A headset with microphone.
All students need and use:
- A Google, Yahoo, or AOL Email address: eStudies’ learning management system, Sakai, uses a secure authentication process that requires that students have access to a Google, Yahoo, or AOL email (i.e., an email address ending in “gmail.com,” “yahoo.com,” or “aol.com"). These email accounts are free and easy to set up:
- Sakai: eStudies courses are delivered in Sakai, Duke University’s online course management system. Operating system and browser combinations that Sakai tested and certified inlcude
- Windows XP and Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 8 or later, Mozilla Firefox 3 or later, and Google Chrome
- Windows Vista with Internet Explorer 8 or later and Mozilla Firefox 3 or later
- Mac OS X 10.6 with Safari 4.0 and Firefox 3.6
- Adobe Connect: Adobe Connect is the eStudies web conferencing system and is used for live chat sessions with eStudies instructors and classmates.
- Computer speakers for the Adobe Connect live chat sessions are required so that students can hear their instructor.However, live chat sessions are an opportunity to interact with instructors and classmates in real time, so Duke TIP encourages students to use a headset with a microphone so that they can join in the conversation.
- Refer to the operating system and browser combinations above.